Writing Books/Me yet again...

Question
I hope you don't mind.  I haven't been able to find an answer for this one.  If, in my novel, I have several characters writing, can I use a different font for each, or do publishers not like that?  Thank you, again. :)

Answer
Hi, again, Amber!

No, I don't mind at all. :) It depends on what you mean by "several characters writing." Do you mean you're switching points of view (POV)---so that you're following the thoughts and actions of different characters FROM their point of view?  Or do you mean that the character is ACTUALLY writing within the text, like in a diary or letter?

If you're writing from different POVs, then publishers call the moment of switching to be a "line break" or "scene break" in the industry. They would prefer that you insert a single hash mark (the # sign above the 3 on the keyboard) against the left margin or in the center of the page as a notation to the editor that you're moving to a new character. The publisher, within the book, will insert an extra space in the text to designate the POV shift.

If you're talking about ACTUAL writing, and you want to show the reader that the writing is happening, then you can do three things. You can use a different font (most people use Arial as opposed to Courier, because it stands out) or you can use italics for the entire section. You can also do a paragraph indent so that the margins shifts five spaces in on both the right and left margins to set it off in the manuscript. Any of those are acceptable, but especially with Word, you'll have to be careful to turn italics or paragraph indent OFF or it'll mess up the rest of the manuscript.

Does that answer the question, or just confuse you more? Let me know and good luck! :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp