Writing Books/First Person POV

Question
Yes, I know I ask a lot of questions.  Sorry about that.  But I was reading and I've noticed this in a few memoirs (that's what my first book is, by the way.) But I'm told since it's first person you can type how you talk when narrating.  For instance, in a memoir I've read the author talks and narrates and some of her sentences are fragments.  It's this acceptable?  I'd hate to send my book to agents with it full of sentence fragments and whatnot.

Answer
Hi, again, Brandon! Don't apologize about asking questions. :) It's why I'm here. Sure, for dialogue you can use sentence fragments---provided they make sense to the reader. People don't speak, or think, in grammatically correct sentences (much to the frustration of our teachers! LOL!) You just need to be careful that the dialogue doesn't feel choppy. Try reading it out loud and intersperse the dialogue with movement. For example:

"Shut up! Like you care." I slammed shut the door to my room and threw one of my stuffed bears to bounce off the mirror. It looked silly and girly, so I kicked the bed post too. Bad plan---I forgot I was wearing sandals.

Does that make sense?

Cathy  

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp