Writing Books/Making my story flow and making characters come to life

Question
My story is all set out. I have about 20 pages of different notes. Biography of each character. Description of what every scene in my book will look like and a 10 pages of what is going to happen in my book one after the other. So all in all i know exactly what everthing looks like and what is going to happen.
     The only problem is getting it onto paper, as i'm writing it the characters just don't seem to be alive. I've tried loads of different ways, but i can't seem to make it happen.
       Also my story doesn't seem to be flowing nicely, it seems a bit jumpy. if you know what i mean lol.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thankyou
XX

Answer
Hello Hannia,

There are probably as many approaches to writing a novel as there are novelists.  We all have to find what works for us, individually.  Taking a writing course, making outlines, proofing chapter by chapter...works for some.  But not for me.  I could never write a book using the approach that you have described.  So maybe I can help you and maybe not.  

My approach to writing a novel is exactly the opposite from yours, but my characters are alive and vibrant; my scenes are captivating and the story flows and flows.  These things I have been told by many readers.  I do not do an outline. I do not know my characters, perhaps only one to begin with. I do not know my plot or how the novel will end.  I barely have an idea, a question, a setting and I sit down and write a sentence.  Another and another. I do this without proofing, without editing, without a care in the world about how it looks or sounds.  My characters show up when they are needed and they help me write the story.  They force me to be true to them.  I am often as shocked as my readers by what happens and how the plot unfolds.  After I have completed one rough draft of the story, I begin the first of many rewrites to make the work presentable and easy to read.  I may rearrange here and there, but seldom do I revise extensively what I have written.

So let me suggest that you begin with one sentence and continue, letting the words flow from your creative mind. Do not edit, correct or otherwise staunch the flow of creativity.  I believe that you will find your characters come alive and you may even meet a few that you didn't plan on.  They may do things that you had not devised for them to do. They may have minds of their own and that is where your "life" will come from.  Try not to go back and read what you have written.

I'm going to sign off now because my computer is giving me weird messages.

Good luck and keep in touch?
Dorothy

You know, biscuits can be made tough by too much kneading.  I feel that your story has been "kneaded" too much.

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris