Writing Books/agent

I asked an agent a question by email, and he replied. I asked if a certain type of genre would be okay, and he wrote yes, he left his mailing address and two phone numbers. Does this mean I can call him or pitch the query by phone? (Why phone numbers in red I think?) I read else where that he prefers queries by mail and so I am mailing it.

It depends on whether the address and phone number appear at the bottom as part of what might be a signature block that's built into his software (so beneath his name and agency), or if he actually typed it into the body of the letter. The red text makes me wonder if it's part of a signature. If he typed it in the body, then I suppose you could contact him. If not, and it's part of a sig block, then simply mail it. But really---most agents prefer to get things in writing. It's hard to judge a plot or your writing ability on the phone. In your place, I'd mail and let him call you. Make sure you include a number you can be reached (and the time zone you live in, so they don't call when you're asleep). If the agent is interested, they won't be afraid to call, no matter where you live. It's a business expense. :)

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.