Writing Books/couple questions

Question
Do we type EVERYTHING we want in the published book?  Like do I put the acknowledgments in or will i have a chance to do that later on?  Also, what about if I want to put a photo in it.  My book is a memoir about my downfall into drugs and all the terrible things I did to my mother and family. So at the end of the book I want to put a picture of me and my mother.  Do I put the photo in or just state that I want a photo there?

Answer
Dear Brandon,

At this point, or at least while you are writing the book, you can include everything -- including acknowledgements, sources, references, a short bio, etc. Certainly your editors and agents, publishers, etc., will "trim and cut" before the book is published, but not before consulting with you -- so, for example, in your manuscript, type [PHOTO HERE] indicating which photo you want to use, etc., and all that can be included later.

I think it's always a good idea to write everything down at the outset, as it comes to you, and try not to "edit yourself as you go," because this way, you'll be less likely to leave even the smallest details out -- and these may be more important than you realize within the overall scope of the book once you've completed it, etc.

The best thing to do is write about your experiences exactly as you remember them, because after all, it's your story, and only you know how to tell it best; when you do get to the point of handing it over to editors, etc., at least you'll know you've said what you wanted to say.

I hope this helps, and good luck!!

All Best,
Catherine Van Herrin  

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin