Writing Books/legal things.

Question
Okay, so I know people write about murder and what not, but that's fiction.  I know this is probaly a stupid question but I'm writing a memoir about my life.  So I'm basically admitting when I did drugs, where I did them, what kind I did, and who with (the names of the people I did them with are changed, but I say their relationship to me)  I'll also be admitting that I fooled around with someone over age.  I'm not underage now but I was in the setting of the book.  Can I get in trouble for any of this?

Answer
Hi, Brandon!

Well, it depends on what you mean by "trouble." Can you get in trouble with the law for your own actions? Perhaps. That depends on whether the "statute of limitations" on the particular crime in your state has expired.

Can you get in trouble with other people because you put their description in a book about bad things they did? Yep. Sure can. It depends on a bunch of things, so this is definitely something you want to bring up with a good attorney before you send it to an agent. An attorney who practices in publishing law (called an "entertainment law" attorney or an "intellectual property law" attorney---depending on the state) can steer you right. One good place to check for the names of attorney who practice this kind of law in your area is the Martindale-Hubbell website, which lists attorneys. You can search by specialty or by state.

http://www.martindale.com

If you can't afford an attorney (because they aren't cheap) you could check with one of the various "Lawyers for the Arts" programs that provide "pro bono" (free) or low-cost attorneys to artists, authors and such. The attorneys volunteer their time because they KNOW authors and artists don't have much money.  Here's a list of the various organizations out there to see if your state is on it:

http://www.starvingartistslaw.com/help/volunteer%20lawyers.htm

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with the book!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp