Writing Books/synopsis

Well, before I ask the question, yes, your last reply makes sense. (You asked me if I understood). My question is about the two page synopsis. Being two pages or so suggests that I should be selective on what it contains. What should go into one, and what should be left out? Did you say once that each paragraph can represent a chapter? It's a summary of the book?

There are two kinds of synopses. One is a "narrative synopsis." This sort of synopsis is like a short story ABOUT the book. The goal is to engage the reader in the character and have them root for the character as they experience their highs and lows over the course of the book (a tricky thing with only two pages to accomplish it!)

The other type of synopsis is an "outline synopsis" This is the one where you do a chapter per paragraph. But it's significantly longer than two pages and should ONLY be used when specifically requested by the agent/publisher.

Go with the narrative synopsis unless instructed otherwise in the guidelines. :)

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.