Writing Books/writing a book about my life

Question
Hi Cathy
My sister and I are trying to write a book together. My question is how can we
have two narrators in our book, and how do we do it in first person?

Answer
Hi, Richard!  Well, it's no particular problem to tell the story from two points of view (POVs.) The tricky part is doing with both in first person and making them sound enough "alike" carry the story. There are plenty of people out there who co-author books. One pair you might want to look into to see how they manage it are Bob Mayer and Jenny Crusie. They started a series where Bob (a hard-hitting suspense/thriller author) writes the male POV, while Jenny (a bestselling romance author) writes the female POV. Their books "Don't Look Down" and "Agnes and the Hitman" have topped the charts. Even though they're not necessarily first person, you'd be wise to take a look at them to see how they manage the different voices.

Here's a link to their website to read more about their books:

http://www.crusiemayer.com/

Another thing you might try is a combination of first person/third person, with one writing each. One author who does this well is J.A. Konrath. His "Jack Daniels" mystery series does a great job with a first person detective heroine, where the killer is portrayed in third person throughout the book. Neat idea and very well done! On his website, there's a link to download the entire first book as a PDF for FREE. Definitely worth the effort.

http://www.jakonrath.com/

Hope that helps a little and let me know if you have any more questions after you do some reading. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp