Writing Books/writing my first fiction

hi susan,
i have been wanting to write a book for a few years now.  i am always interested in cultural behavior, human psychology and mentality, personal betterment, etc...  so i have built up a lot of thoughts and believes over the years.
finally, i started writing last weekend.  the thoughts, the ideas, all just come together and now i have a synopsis written (2 pages), the main characters defined, and four chapters under development.
am very excited but also at the same time feeling unsure of this unchartered territory.
i have many many questions but i dont want to be overwhelming here.
how can i sustain my effort now.  i am on such a roll that everything that i am writing, it ties nicely back to the theme of my fiction.  am sure i will hit a wall somewhere, especially when i start to develop the chapters line by line.
any advice for a rookie on common writing problems when it comes to creativity.  and what should i do to get someone to read my draft to see if it is good or at least what i want it to be?
thank you.

Hello Brendan:

Put aside your insecurity and write. Write everything down as it comes to you, date it, and save it. Just keep doing this, don't think about how good it might be, or any walls you might encounter. This is the right-brain (see,21985,22556281-661,00.html) or creative part of the process, so forget everything else and write and write and write until you run out of material. If you have trouble writing while the excitement is on you, try using a tape recorder, or Voice Express or some other speech-to-text program. The main thing is to get it all down while the excitement drives you. What you will end up with is a loose, unstructured first draft.

Once you get your first draft done, you will be switching to the left side of your brain - the analytical side. Did you see the dancer going clockwise or anti-clockwise? See if you can refocus and changer her direction (use the legs). With the second draft, you will be concentrating on analysis, logic, comparison and contrast, etc.

At my website,, I offer mentoring services to guide you through the second, and third draft, if necessary, at $2 per "lesson." It is useless to start a second draft if you don't have the necessary skills to know whether you are improving it or not. It takes    years to learn this. I've been studying and working in this field for over 40 years, and long ago passed that mark.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated.  I am proud of my high score over 1350 questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication