Writing Books/Writing a book

QUESTION: Dear Jannie,

I wish to write a book on my family and interesting events that surround them, as well as the interesting lives we've endored. My question to you is how would I even go about writing a book? I have no experience in writing, however I've written News Letters for my company that lead to positive feed back. I have also been told that I should write for a living. Any advice you can offer and starting my book would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tyrone Dunston
(215) 834-3228

ANSWER: It will be difficult since you have no experience or knowledge that you need to write a book.

Outline all events in chronological order of event, and use that outline to go off of as you write.

A good edit a long the way helps you organize and rearrange.

QUESTION: Difficult, but not impossible right? What do I need? How do I go about getting a publisher? How can I get the guidance I need to pursue my goal for writing this book? I understand the editing portion (which is very important) however, I want to be very successful with my book. Funny you said out line my events, because that is what I did already. With that being said, it sounds like my direction aimed correctly.

Difficult, yes. Impossible, no.

As far as publishers go, no traditional publisher reads or accepts unsolicited manuscripts. That means, you have to have a literary agent to represent you and get you in the door to the publisher that wants your genre book.

Google "publishers" (traditional publishers, not Publish America or the sort) and read what they publish, i.e. biographies, non-fiction, etc.

Join a writers workshop (there are plenty Online and some free)to get guidance and help from other writers more seasoned than you. Writers help other writers.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.