Writing Books/commercial fiction

Question
That's another ambiguous term. One agency said they handle "commercial fiction." I am assuming that covers mysteries or the Chinese private eye I gave as an example earlier? Is this correct? Is "commercial" genre fiction?
No, I belive you are correct in saying the market would be broader if listed as "mystery" rather than "ethnic." I mean, Walter Mosley's black detective story has the word  "mystery" on the book. That is only one example.

Answer
All genre fiction is commercial by its nature. But "commercial" is not a genre in its own right. The only fiction that ISN'T deemed "commercial" or "mainstream" fiction by publishers/agents is literary fiction and historical fiction. Different readers buy those, and the requirements of the writing style don't depend on the typical tropes of fiction, such as a plot and characterization.

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp