Writing Books/genre

Question
Let's say a person writes a story about a Chinese American who starts a detective agency. Does he send the query to the agent handling ethnic fiction, or to the agent handling mysteries?

Thanks

Answer
Hi, Demetrius! Sorry for the delay in responding, but didn't notice this question come through the loop.

It all depends on where you want the book to be shelved and, ultimately, where you want your readers to come from. It's likely you're looking at the amateur sleuth category of mystery, which is a well-selling genre. "Ethnic," as a category, is often strongly African-American or Latino, rather than Chinese-American. You probably wouldn't have a lot of Chinese looking in that section for a book unless there was a lot of advance publicity. On the other hand, readers of mysteries don't much care about the ethnicity of the detective. They're looking for a good plot and EVENTUALLY get to the point where the character personality becomes important. They become invested in the PERSON you've created. But not at first . . . not in a debut book.

You can do either, but I think you'll have a broader audience in mystery. JMHO. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp