Writing Books/marketing hook

Question
Hello:

One agency wanted a  "marketing hook" (if you've been previously published, have a MFA,etc) If you haven't, what might possibly go as "marketing hooks"?

Thanks

Answer
A marketing hook is a one-line blurb that a marketing or sales person can use to sell the book to a distributor or bookstore. For example, using the previously published/MFA concept, a sales rep might say: "This author has three previous books published on this subject, and two hit the bestseller list."

You can see how that would get a distributor interested.

If you don't have any such thing, then go for familiarity with the subject. "This author lived for ten years in China, where the book is set." or "This author was unlawfully imprisoned for being an activist against the regime in power." Etc., etc. Just something about YOU that is also about the BOOK that is a little extra bit to grab a bookstore buyer.

Does that make sense?

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp