Writing Books/novels

what should the word count of a novel be

Most publishers will tell you that the word count for a first book from an unpublished writer should be somewhere in the rough neighborhood of 120,000 words, give or take.

Now, the particular genre can have an effect on this, too.  If you're writing a romance, for example, check with the publisher you're hoping to sell to, because they will often have very specific word counts for their properties.

And of course, once you're established, you can ignore conventional word counts and churn our 400,000 word monsters and not worry about it.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.