Writing Books/query or cover letter?

If it reads "query with 3-5 pages of first chapter and synopsis with SASE" Does this mean to submit a query letter that sells or a cover letter that just introduces? (I saw you wrote that a "cover letter is not a query letter") Does the cover letter only go with the manuscript? Difference between the two?

Yes. Cover letter only goes with a manuscript. They'll be expecting a full query letter that "hooks" them, as well as the synopsis and pages. A cover letter is a simple: "Please find enclosed a copy of my manucript MY BESTSELLER. I have enclosed a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your convenience in responding. Thank you for your attention. I look forward to hearing from you." It doesn't tell about the book at all, so a query is what's needed here. :)

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.