Writing Books/Second Edition

Question
Are there any rules associated with publishing a second edition of a given book? My first edition didn't sell that well and I'm making changes to its content so that it'll be more interesting this time around. Are there any rules or restrictions regarding a second edition version? May I keep the same title as before? How much of the book's content must change to constitute as a second edition (20% or so)? Is it required to change the book's cover? Other than a new ISBN number, is there anything else that is required for a second edition? Thanks for your help.

Answer
Are you self-published?

Your publisher can answer and handle all of the second edition requirements.

No, there are no exact rules.

You can keep the original title and add "second edition" and you should update your cover for marketing purposes.

Update the content to make it an improvement, i.e. second edition.

Usually a second edition is a "continuation" of the first-- not an updated version or correction.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett