Writing Books/names

Question
hello, i have real trouble with thinking up names for people, places and things. Is there any advice you can give me.

thanks in advance

Answer
Chris:

Well... "things"?  Most things have their own names already, or are you inventing new things?

Places... ditto.  Are you creating fictitious places, and if so, in what setting?  If you're creating a fictional town in Kansas, you wouldn't want to use the same naming technique as if you were inventing a fictional village in 8th century England.

People... again, a lot depends on your setting (both time and place).  If you're writing in a particular time period, make sure you choose names appropriate to the time.  Names should also be evocative, bringing to mind something you want the reader to think of.  The name "Chris," for example...  Well, could be male or female, so there's ambiguity there.  The beginning sound is a "k" sound, which is "hard."  However, the ending is an "s" sound, which is soft.  So there's a balance, there.  The name is short, only one syllable, which can give the impression of simplicity.  However, we also know it's probably not a full name, but short for something else.  (Underlying complexity?)  And that tells us that this person prefers to go by the shorter name, meaning he/she isn't a formal type.

See how it works?  Now think of your characters and what you'd like to convey.

Hope that helps.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales