Writing Books/publishing

Question
hello, i was just wondering if anyone can get a book published or do you need any speacial degrees and stuff like that.

thanks in advance

Answer
Hi, Chris!

I saw your question in the question pool and thought I'd offer to help. Yes, anyone can get a book published if the book is good! No special degrees or anything are required. I only have a high school diploma and I've written and published more than a dozen books with a major NY publisher. So, sure. It's possible.

The trick is making it good. It's not just a question of making it an interesting plot, but putting that plot, and the characters and such down on paper in a way that flows well and hooks the reader. That takes either 1) practice; or 2) training. Most writers do it through practice. They expect that the first book, or five books, will never see the light of day. They're just not good enough. But maybe you'll do it on the first book! There's just no telling.

One thing you'll have to start to concentrate on is making every single thing you put on paper the best it can be. That means capitalization, spelling, punctuation---all that. The publisher will expect the book to be in near perfect form when they receive it. Editors don't really have time in today's busy publishing world to guide a book that has "promise of being great" toward that goal. That used to happen, but not anymore. Now, an author has to spend more time getting every word to be the best it can. If you're willing to spend that time learning the craft, then sure . . . you can publish. But take the time. Do it right and read as much as you can in the genre you want to publish in. Write and read and write some more. :)

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any other questions that come up along the way.

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp