Writing Books/Market Assessment

Question
Hi. An agent recently asked me to send them an assessment of my manuscript's market and its strengths in the market. My novel is a paranormal romance so I thought you might be able to give me some advice on how to find more info on the market. I've been all over the web but can't find specific numbers to indicate how well paranormal romance sells. Also don't know how to format a market assessment sheet.

Answer
Hi, Carol!

This seems like a VERY strange thing for an agent to be asking, if they already sell in the genre. Are you confident about the agent's ability to sell the book (as in, have they sold OTHER paranormal romances?) The agents I know who rep pararom and urban fantasy are very familiar with the sales numbers and certainly wouldn't be asking the author to produce this. While it's a common question in NF, it's really not in fiction.

I'd suggest you first check to be sure that the agent is NOT on the list of "Twenty Worst Agents" put out by Writer Beware, a watchdog site.  Here's  a link:

http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/twentyworst.html

If they're not on it, that's good. If they are, run away fast.

Thenk I'd suggest you consider joining Romance Writers of America (http://www.rwanational.org ) It's a little pricey, but the information you'll gain is invaluable. One of the very best things about membership is a special list of agents to look at with all the current contact info who are "approved" by the organization for having sold books in the genre.

If you can't afford that, I understand and I'd be happy to help you you with some names of pararom agents if you tell me who you've already approached (hate to duplicate names if we don't have to.)

Good luck and let me know!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp