Writing Books/Starting a novel

Hi Susan. well, let me start by telling you that English is my second language.
I am a desperate writer that has been suffering during the last month. My problem is that I have I really great idea for a fiction novel and I have many of the necessary elements of a novel, but it is difficult for me to start writing the the beginning of the story, the first chapter. what do you recommend me to do? should I take a days off to rest, or start from writing the story from the end?
I hope you answer my question, thank you.

Hello Salvador:

First, put aside your desperation, and let's proceed calmly.

Second, please realize that you are not alone. Most first-time and many second-time novelists find themselves floundering around in their material, not sure how to start, no idea how to proceed. This can continue for months or even years - I had one client who had been working on her book for 22 years!

I am confident you don't want to fall into this trap. Therefore, you must now make a choice between three courses of action:

1. On your own, you can undertake a course of study - such as you would find on offer at a college or university, to procure a degree in creative writing, which might take three or four years or more;

2. You can pursue such a degree at a college or university, and pay the attendant charges, which are considerable; or

3. You can hire a mentor like myself, a published author, who will guide you through the process, give you instruction tailored to your material every step of the way, keep your investment of time to a minimum, all for $2.50 per "lesson." My lessons are concise and meaty; there is no fluff or vague suggestions that do not apply to your book or your needs.

My website,, is currently under reconstruction, but you can contact me at

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 1350+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication