Writing Books/Starting a novel

Question
Hi Susan. well, let me start by telling you that English is my second language.
I am a desperate writer that has been suffering during the last month. My problem is that I have I really great idea for a fiction novel and I have many of the necessary elements of a novel, but it is difficult for me to start writing the the beginning of the story, the first chapter. what do you recommend me to do? should I take a days off to rest, or start from writing the story from the end?
I hope you answer my question, thank you.

Answer
Hello Salvador:

First, put aside your desperation, and let's proceed calmly.

Second, please realize that you are not alone. Most first-time and many second-time novelists find themselves floundering around in their material, not sure how to start, no idea how to proceed. This can continue for months or even years - I had one client who had been working on her book for 22 years!

I am confident you don't want to fall into this trap. Therefore, you must now make a choice between three courses of action:

1. On your own, you can undertake a course of study - such as you would find on offer at a college or university, to procure a degree in creative writing, which might take three or four years or more;

2. You can pursue such a degree at a college or university, and pay the attendant charges, which are considerable; or

3. You can hire a mentor like myself, a published author, who will guide you through the process, give you instruction tailored to your material every step of the way, keep your investment of time to a minimum, all for $2.50 per "lesson." My lessons are concise and meaty; there is no fluff or vague suggestions that do not apply to your book or your needs.

My website, pygmypress.com, is currently under reconstruction, but you can contact me at pygmy@pygmypress.com.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 1350+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand