Writing Books/memoir query

I've just finished my memoir about a time when I was heavily involved in drugs and basically destroyed my relationship with a lot of my family. Now I was wondering, is a query for a memoir the same for a fiction novel. When writing a hook for it, do we still talk in third person? Or do we talk in first person since it's a memoir and the book is written in first person. How is a query letter for a memoir different from a fiction novel, if any difference at all. Thank you.

Hi, Brandon!

First, Congratulations on finishing your memoir, and for getting through a rough period in your life! That's an accomplishment all on its own.

Memoirs are sort of a tricky hybrid of fiction and non-fiction and they have their own style of query. I don't write them myself, but I know of a couple good places on the web where you can get advice about writing them. Hope these help:

Wander down to the bottom of the page for the information about memoirs.

Stick around Miss Snark's site and read some more of the topics. You'll learn a TON about the process. Her advice is solid gold!

Another agent, another place to spend time to read up. Worth your time and will save you a ton of time in the process.

Hope these help and little and feel free to ask any other questions that might come up!

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.