Writing Books/memoir query

Question
I've just finished my memoir about a time when I was heavily involved in drugs and basically destroyed my relationship with a lot of my family. Now I was wondering, is a query for a memoir the same for a fiction novel. When writing a hook for it, do we still talk in third person? Or do we talk in first person since it's a memoir and the book is written in first person. How is a query letter for a memoir different from a fiction novel, if any difference at all. Thank you.

Answer
Hi, Brandon!

First, Congratulations on finishing your memoir, and for getting through a rough period in your life! That's an accomplishment all on its own.

Memoirs are sort of a tricky hybrid of fiction and non-fiction and they have their own style of query. I don't write them myself, but I know of a couple good places on the web where you can get advice about writing them. Hope these help:

http://www.agentquery.com/psa_obviouslessobvious2.aspx

Wander down to the bottom of the page for the information about memoirs.

http://misssnark.blogspot.com/2007/03/when-to-query-memoir.html

Stick around Miss Snark's site and read some more of the topics. You'll learn a TON about the process. Her advice is solid gold!

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2007/06/writing-memoir-is-not-therapy.html

Another agent, another place to spend time to read up. Worth your time and will save you a ton of time in the process.

Hope these help and little and feel free to ask any other questions that might come up!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp