Writing Books/how to start?

Question
I've had loads of wonderful ideas to write a fantasy book and now i just need to put them together but the trouble is i just don't know how to start! any advice you could give me?
thank you very much
Emma

Answer
There's really no single way to go about beginning a book.  Different things work better from one writer to the next.  A lot depends on what you've got to go on.

You mentioned "loads of wonderful ideas."  Clearly, this is where you begin.  But are these ideas related to characters, plot, setting... all of these?  

Try taking one idea and really fleshing it out.  If you have an idea for a character, do a character profile sheet.  Fill in all kinds of things that you'd want to know about this person if you were meeting and becoming friends.  Even things that you know you'll never work into the story... you, as the writer, will want to know them, anyway.

Ditto for other things... setting or plot ideas... flesh them out in great detail.

The purpose of all this is so that YOU know your characters and their settings inside and out.  You want to know a TON more information than your reader ever will.  The reason being is that, the more "real" these things are to you, the more real they'll seem to the reader.

You'll also find, in the process of expanding on these ideas, that other ideas will most likely occur to you.  Eventually, it should come to the point where you understand what the story really is, and you won't have such a difficult time thinking of how to get it rolling.

And of course, just write.  Doesn't matter about what, even if it's something that'll never be part of the book.  Just write.  

Good luck.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales