Writing Books/writing a book

Question
Hi, I want to write a book on the processes of pottery and ceramics for the studio potter. I am a professional studio potter and am employed 2 days a week at our local college in the ceramics department. I have 4 volumes of my test's and ideas and results, how do I get these into a book a publisher would look at

Answer
Dear Sam:

Well, the answer is easy but the process isn't!  All you have to do is write a nonfiction book proposal which includes:

1.  An overview of the book
2.  Competition:  An analysis of what other books are already on the market that are similar to yours.  You, of course, include in this analysis why your book is superior to the others.
3.  Market Analysis:  This is a review with all the statistics you can find on the number of people who might buy your book and how to reach them.
4.  A Table of Contents.  Go ahead and put in chapter titles that describe the content of the chapter.  You don't have to use them later but it gives the editor/agent reading the proposal and one page look at the entire book.
5.  An annotated Table of Contents.  These are chapter by chapter summaries describing in 100 words or less what's in that chapter.
6.  Your Platform.  An explanation of you are the person to write this book, your membership in associations that cover the topic of the book and if you have an e-mail or blog.
7.  Sample chapters.  Preferably the first three.
8.  A Query letter that you send before the proposal to pique the interest of the publisher/agent you want to buy your book.

Simple really, right?  Run like crazy to your local book store or go on line and buy any of the How To Write a Book Proposal books.  They're all good.

Good luck!

Liz Aleshire
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire