Writing Books/writing a book

"Hiya,   I just have a few quick questions about how to write in a book style.  

1. how do you introduce a character? I mean, would you give a complete detailed description of what they look like straight away? Like would you discribe their hair what they do, eye colour, that sort of thing.  

2. when someone is thinking something how would you write it? I've always written it like this. For example i'd use a ' instead of a " and i think this is wrong :P, for example i'd do this.   'bob looks nice,' thought anna. <--example   

3. if your book is centered around two people, how would you jump between the two? i mean like if i'm writing about person A, then want to write about person B, how would i do that? do i leave a space? just use another paragraph? or have to start another chapter?   

4. And last the book i'm thinking about writing is about a reporter who is asking someone about their life. So it would keep changing from 1st to 3rd person. how would i do this? would i just have a very very long speech bit from the person talking about there life or change it to first person?  

I don't know if any of that made sence, i hope it did :P   ty  XX"

Generally, I like my questioners to confine themselves to at most two questions, as I tend to answer questions in detail. However, I can see by your questions that some basic work needs to be done here.

If you want to write, you must read, and if you want to write in English, you must read English. Almost any book written in English can furnish you with answers to all your questions. Find a book you admire and study it to see how these problems are handled.

In the meantime, here are some hints:

The way to introduce a character is NOT to describe them down to the arch of their eyebrows. All that can wait (if it's important. Color of eyes, hair, etc. is generally not). The way to introduce a character is to present them involved in some exciting action, so the reader can watch them move, hear them speak, and get interested in what's going on.

There are very few "have to's" in fiction. If you want to write about two people, write about them. As you keep reading, you will see how other authors handle this switching back and forth.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 1350+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication