Writing Books/Headers

Question
QUESTION: Okay, I have manually typed my headers on the top right corner of each page that say   Holton/Behind These Eyes/Page #   So now when I go to edit, whether I delete or add more, it pushes all my headers  down into the document. Is there a way to add a header to each page just like the one I have now and not have it move when I edit.

ANSWER: In most programs, yes. What software are you using?

Cathy

QUESTION: I use Microsoft word. I've tried for like hours but can't figure out how to. :p

ANSWER: Here you go:

1. Click on View in the upper bar
2. Click on Header and Footers
3. A box will pop up on your screen to type in.
4. If you move your cursor from side to side in the box, you'll be given the option to either have the text be left-justified, centered or right justified (you'll see a little icon pop up that matches the buttons on your toolbar)
5. Type in book title and your last name.
6.  When you're ready to add the page number, click on the "AutoFormat" drop-down menu from the extra toolbar that popped up in the header.
7. Click Page (or page number, depending on which version of Word you're using).
8.  Click Close
You're done!

If you have any problems with it, drop me a follow-up and tell me what it did/didn't do and I'll walk you through it. :)

Cathy

QUESTION: Okay, I figured that out. Thanks. Now my only problem is that it starts from the very first page. The tile page and numbers from there. Is there a way I can start from the first page my story starts on and give it the number 1 and go from there?

Answer
Ahhh... You'll need to delete that header and put it on the page where you want it to start. Word works with "from this point forward" commands. If you start it where you want to start it, it'll work and not attach to pages before where you start.  

To delete the header:

Open Header and Footer. If you only have one, it'll pop it right up without having to scroll. Simply select the text with your cursor or arrow buttons and hit Delete. Then close it, and the header will disappear.

Then go the page you wanted it to start on and do it again. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp