Writing Books/Letters into book?

Question
Hello, I have a Bachelors degree (major History). I am 54 year old woman. I have many letters written by my family 1930s - 1950s. Many of these letters are during WWII (including letters to and from my 2 uncles who fought in Europe. One of these uncles was taken prisoner of war by Germans in Italy. Some of these letters were written while in prison. Many, many letters from my grandmother. These letters give day-to-day life of East-Texan farm life. My family was poor but very good hard working people. I really want to write a book based on these letters. But do not really know where to start. Help! Is this possible? Thanks for any information.

Answer
It's very possible, but without seeing the material, it would be hard to say where to start, and as you must be realizing, you can organize them in many ways. You might think chronologically first and see if that works, filling in background information between each one with the history of the era in which the letters were written. You may also choose particular people first, concentrating on their correspondence back and forth. Each chapter could focus on correspondence between separate couples. You could also organize it by subject matter, but I think that way might be the least effective.

The biggest thing, though, is simply to start. Don't worry too much about whether what you produce will be the final version; it probably won't. As you work, though, your ideas will gel, and the book will quite possibly all come together organically in its best form. Don't expect it to be perfect right off the bat. Just begin!

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas