Writing Books/Sources of Information

Dear Jannie,

I have gathered a lot of information and I want to put togehter this in a book that will be useful to those figthing white collar crime. I have outlined the chapters and each one will be reinforced with a real-world case.

Two questions:

1)This will be my first book so I would appreciate your suggestions on how to find an agent/editor/publisher. I have the information but I do not have the economic means.

2)By including real world cases, I would have to use companies and individuals' names. I will use those who have been convicted and sentenced. The information related to those cases is all over the media. Any suggestions on how to avoid getting myself in trouble for this?

I appreciate your assistance and thank you for contributing your time!

Hello Lyllian,

I presume this novel is non-fiction.  

Therefore, you can use real cases as in the media and public. This is public knowledge.

The only concern would be the real people involved, using their real identities; i.e. you can not add to the pure facts as sighted in your research or face liabilities.

What you will have to do is create an index of your resources included in the back of the book. This is your complete source of your information. Keep each and every fact true to your source. The only thing you are allowed as an author is your own opinions in a summary such as essay style within your book, stating your opinion and theory, and not factual.

As far as agents and publishers-- you can't get to publishers without going through an agent. Publishers no longer accept unsolicited manuscripts. Therefore, you need an agent. Select agent(s) that represent non-fiction, then query them about your book. An agent(s) that is interested and knows he can sell it to one of his clients (publishers) will ask to send the manuscript for him/her to read first.  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.