Writing Books/Time & Dedications

Dear Cathy:
 I have finished planning out my novel. I plan on starting the actual writing this week. But school starts next Monday, and it looks like I might have a lot of homework. I'm not big on the social scene, and so that might help my problem with finding time. Do you have any suggestions for finding time to write? How much should I write in one day?
 And what do you think of dedications? I notice that most books have dedications to people that don't seem to have to do much with the book. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks again for your help!,
John Parsons

Hi, John!

Well, I tend to write in the mornings because I find that by the end of the work/school day that my head is filled up with too many other things to think. If you set your alarm an hour ahead and get up to write BEFORE school, you might do well. Even if you only get out a paragraph or a page, it adds up. Think about it--if you only do one page a day, you'll have a completed novel by the end of the year! That's not too bad, and doesn't impact too much on your schedule. It's just a matter of routine. Do it every day and it'll become habit. You might even be able to write for longer periods on the weekends, which speeds up the process.

Next, dedications are written for the sole purpose of thanking people who don't APPEAR to have things to do with the book. But you'd be surprised how many people actually have a hand in writing, from research to early reading of drafts and such. Usually if you see names in the dedication, you can be sure that somewhere out there, they helped the author out. :)

Hope that helps, and good luck with the book. Feel free to ask any other questions that come up in the process.

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.