Writing Books/purchase stock photos or wait till . . .

Question
Hello,
I am publishing my third book and this one is more intense than the others. This is a 98 page + coffee table type book that requires me to purchase a few stock photos which are costly.

I choose this round, to shop for an agent who with either represent my new publishing business and me or give it to one of the larger publishing houses.

The question: I'm wondering if I need to have a "finished" galley (exact photos and owned - in place) or just put copies of not licensed photos in the galley to be shown to an agent. At which time if they see the merit in my work, then I would purchase the photos or have the publishing company take it on.

#2 question is: where online or do you know of a travel editor and a food editor? My search on line has been time consuming.
Thank you!

Answer
First, agents donut represent your publishing business. They represent manuscripts in an attempt to sell them to a publisher. Few agents handle books that are already self-published, because few publishers want self-published books unless the author can provide proof of sales of at least 3,000 copies already. That’s a tough figure to hit; most self-published books sell fewer than 100 copies.

Next, coffee table books usually use original artwork, not stock photos, so I’m not sure what the product is that you have to sell.

Third, publishers usually provide the artwork, unless the author is also a photographer or artist, so you donut have to own any art to sell your manuscript; the publisher will usually get it for you if interested in your manuscript.

I’m not sure what you mean by a food editor or a travel editor. Do you mean an acquisitions editor with a publishing house that publishes travel books and cookbooks, or a manuscript editor who will edit the manuscript for punctuation, grammar, and style? If an acquisitions editor, go to www.writersmarket.com. There is a slight fee, but it is  worth it for the ease of use and quantity of material. If you mean a manuscript editor, I’m one, and there are hundreds more. Simply use a search engine and look for “book manuscript editor” or “manuscript editor” or, if your book needs editing for concept, clarity, and/or organization, search under “book doctor.” If you want to check my services, credentials, and prices, go to www.zebraeditor.com.

I hope I have interpreted the questions correctly and have been helpful.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas