Writing Books/writer's group

Can you give me some links to really good up to date writer's groups. where i can post some parts of my recently finished memoir and get some feedback. thank you in advance?

Hi, Brandon!

The two where I primarily hang out are very up to date, with daily activity. The biggest one is AbsoluteWrite, which has over 22,000 members over 100 countries. The memoir/personal essay forum is very active, and there's a "Share Your Work" section where you can post parts to have people comment.  Here's the main link. You'll see that there are a BUNCH of rooms. I'd start with the Newbie Forum (the very first room in the list), to get a feel for the rules of the place. :)

Then, there's another one that's good, called WritersNet. There are more lurkers there than active posters, but there are quite a few regular posters. They want smaller chunks of writing, and while those who comment can sometimes be harsh, they're VERY good. For this site, just make sure that you have all your punctuation, spelling and grammar fixed before you post, or that's all you'll wind up hearing about---rather than the writing itself.

Hope that helps, and look forward to seeing you around the boards! :)

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.