Writing Books/writing

Question
How do i go about getting my book published?

Answer
Hi, Chris!

I'll need a little more information before I can advise you. Tell me what you mean by "published." There are lots of different ways to do this, and how to go about it depends on what you want and what you've written. So, the different types of publishing are:

1.  Commercial publishing. These include the books you see in the stores by major publishers, like Random House, Dell, Tor/Forge and others.

2.  Small Press/University Press. These are what they call "niche" books, which appeal to a very narrow demographic of people and wouldn't do well on the national or world stage.

3.  Self-publishing. You "self-publish" a book when you create your own company and produce the book by yourself, from formatting, to hiring a cover artist, a printer, buy the ISBN and market it. This is a long, difficult process but some people do really well at it if they have a lot of business experience.

4.  Subsidy publishing. A subsidy publisher is one where you pay the publisher to produce the book, instead of the publisher paying YOU (which is what happens with #1 and #2 above). Like self-publishing, you have greater control over the process, but you also have to do the work. A subsidy publisher is very much like your local Kinkos. They take whatever you hand them and put it in a specific format and hand it back to you collated and bound. But there's little, if any editorial process and no marketing to the public.

So, tell me what you're interested in with a follow-up question and I'll try to steer you right! :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp