Writing Books/where to go?

Question
I'm a Nigerian, I've lived in Cote D'Ivoire for 12 years and just written my first novel set in Cote D'Ivoire. The novel is written in English because I'm anglophone, but most of the presumed audience is francophone. Where should I send the manuscript to? France, England, Ivory Coast or where? Would francophone publishers or lit. agents accept a manuscript written in english? Would anglophone publishers or lit. agents accept a manuscript set in a francophone country?
Thanks.

Answer

Thanks for the question and sorry about my delayed reply but I have been travelling.

Having had some experience in publishing books set in non-English speaking countries (Morocco, France Afghanistan) I suggest that there is no problem sending it to an English speaking country. In fact I think your first move should be to contact an English literary agent. A francophone publisher is less likely to accept it whereas an English one would possibly consider selling the translation rights after publishing in English.

It sounds fascinating and I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers

Sandy McCutcheon

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon