Writing Books/Publishers

OK, I give.  What is the difference between Chicago style vs. business English?

The answer is too long to explain in full, but some of the big differences include the serial comma, capitalization, and abbreviations. For example, we were taught in school not to use a comma after the last item in a series: The flag is red, white and blue. In Chicago Style, preferred by book publishers, we use the comma: The flag is red, white, and blue. In school we learned to capitalize the word “president” when referring to the president of the United States: Mike wants to run for President when he grows up. In Chicago Style it is capitalized only when used with the name: Mike wants to run for president when he grows up. He wrote to President Carter to get some tips on how to do so. In school we learned a form of business English that uses abbreviations for some terminology that Chicago Style spells out in full, especially the names of states.  You can get all the information from The Chicago Manual of Style, which costs about $30, but it has more information than you'll ever need.

I offer some more information on the differences in one of my free reports, obtainable by sending me an e-mail to freereports@zebraeditor.com or go to my Web site at www.zebraeditor.com and follow the directions to order my free reports. I hope you'll also sign up for my free newsletter while you're on my Web site.  

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas

Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas owns Zebra Communications, a book-editing firm in metro Atlanta. She not only edits books, she also helps writers power up their prose to increase their chances of success. She is the author of Write In Style (Union Square Publishing), a creative-writing guide that won three awards.

Bobbie has spent more than 40 years in the publishing and communications industry and has run Zebra Communications, a book-editing company, since 1992. The editor of many publications and periodicals, she has worked with book publishers and trade magazine publishers as well as working in marketing communications and corporate communications.

Past president, Georgia Writers Association; past vice president, South Carolina Writers Workshop; charter/lifelong member, Florida Writers Association; Southeastern Writers Association; Atlanta Writers Club; Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL); International Guild of Professional Consultants

Write in Style (Union Square Publishing), A Cup of Comfort (Adams Media Corporation), A Cup of Comfort for Friends (Adams Media), A Cup of Comfort for Mothers and Sons (Adams Media), Haunted Engounters (Atriad Press), Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin's Press), First-Time Home Buyer magazine, HomeBusiness Journal, Apparel Industry Magazine, Edge Magazine, Atlanta Jewish Times, Time Travel Australia, American Writers Review, Points North, That's Entertainment, Atlanta Parent, Agnes Scott Alumnae Magazine, etc.

Journalism: University of South Carolina plus four decades of working in publishing, marketing, communications, advertising, newspaper and magazine production, book publishing, etc.

First Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers Annual Contest, 2005; First Place, education, Royal Palm Literary Award, 2004; Best in Division, Georgia Author of the Year Awards, 2005; Finalist, Best Books 2005, USA BookNews Third Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers, 1999; Nominated for Georgia Author of the Year, 1998; plus many other awards

Capital Books, Sourcebooks, Olin Frederick, The Writer's Machine, Russell Dean & Company, Outskirts Press, and hundreds of writers.