Writing Books/fictional short stories and novels

Question
I propose to utilize my own illustrations in a short story and a short novel in the planning stage (fictional works. These stories feature a character based on a person living in this vicinity. I have done paintings and taken photographs of this person in the past. The paintings are quite realistic and I can execute artwork that would identify this person from these published drawings and/or paintings.

I do not intend to use photos of this person, but only my own original artwork. I have no legal releases from this person for the use of any artwork I may use showing her image. All verbal references to her have been changed and fictionalized. The question is: if she recognizes herself in the publication, can she sue based on that recognition factor?

Legally, it may not be relevant, but the images and story line to be used are highly complimentary to this person. In addition, the images to be used in these two projected works refer back in time ten years from today. However, the changes in her physical appearance from that time to the present are not that great. It is unlikely I can obtain any releases from this person regarding the use of her images in my published works.

I have tried to get this questioned answered in the past but I am not acquainted with any professional writers. Your opinion would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your opinion Mr. Wales-it is important to me.

Robert N. Kerr

Answer
The short answer is yes, if she recognizes herself, you're in shaky territory.  She may not agree that your story is complimentary to her.  At the very least, if there is an image that she realizes is her (whether photograph or painting), you are open to being sued for using her likeness without her permission.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales