Writing Books/novel - fiction

Question
I am a white middle-age  woman who had a dream about a 6 year old African-American girl that was so real it became the basis for my novel.  I am now approaching page 75 of the novel, but I find I want to edit what I have written instead of "getting on with it."  I don't know if this is writer's block, but I do know that it is hindering my progress.  I, in turn, feel that I am letting my main character down.  Do you have any suggestions?

Answer
Hello Billie:

Resist. Resist, resist, resist!

You have nothing to edit until you have a first draft finished. By the time you get to the end of your first draft you will (or should) know what needs editing. Often the only way you can isolate plot/storyline problems is to work it through to the end. Doing this in a first draft is possible, but laborious. For that reason I tell my clients to do a synopsis first, in some detail - perhaps 10-15 pages.

What you describe can indeed lead to writer's block, so resist. If you take your MC through 75 and then suddenly abandon her to go back and fiddle with what has already been done, you will indeed have let her down.

So resist, and resist again. Keep your eyes focused on the ending, and keep working toward it.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated.  I am proud of my high score over 1350+ questions.

And thanks for writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand