Writing Books/Setting -- Using a real place

Question
I've been writing on again and off again for years.  I keep coming back to stories that take place where I grew up.  Its a really small town.  The novel has nothing to do with the people there, but I love the setting and the history.  I'd like to incorporate the setting in a novel of suspense with a little history thrown in.  Every time I start to write the book I get bogged down worrying about setting this in a place I know so well.  This also a place I am passionate about.  I just love the history and I'm proud of being from there.  

The streets that I will be using in the book do exist.  The background history of the town will be as accurate as I can make it.   The houses that I mention are fictional, the businesses with be fictional, as will the people.  The only thing I will be doing is using the location.  

I guess my question is:  Is it okay to set a fictional story in a place that really exists that not a large, anonymous city?

Answer
A lot of authors write the location that they are from. This is okay. but IF you by accident pick a fictional name for a person, and that person really exists, he can sue for liable.

It is more practical and more safe to create a fictional town in that location, using the real history from the real town. That way, you don't risk a real name existing.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett