Writing Books/Using the name of a famous person

Question
I am writing a fictional novel slightly based off my life. In the novel I would like to reference certain celebrities and I was wondering if it is legal to do that.

Answer
In order to mention or reference a real person, you must use the reference in a positive light and not any slight negative.

Famous people, especially celebs, spend a lot of money with a publist to build up their name.

If they should feel it is negative in any way, they can sue you for liable and slander and defamation of character, let alone damages to their reputation and any loss of potential income that may have caused.

I usually suggest NOT referencing any real person, to safeguard the author.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett