Writing Books/WRITING

Question
I am writing a book on relaxation. There are many books that give techniques and steps to relax, or to massage, or to breath correctly. For example, ..now breath slowly for 3 seconds, hold for.... or they give specific steps for massage or they do the same for specific yoga movements. I'm wondering if those steps are copywrited or can someone else write a book citing those same steps almost word for word?

Answer
The short answer is no... the steps themselves are not copyrighted, but I wouldn't recommend copying anything "word for word."  Copyright only pertains to how things are captured... words on paper, music on a CD, etc.  So copying "word for word" could still be considered plagiarism.  

The actual relaxation techniques could not be copyrighted... but I suppose they could conceivably be patented, if there was something truly unique about them.  But I doubt it.

My suggestion is to find a new way to say what you want to say.  Tweak it a bit.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales