Writing Books/WRITING

Question
I am writing a book on relaxation. There are many books that give techniques and steps to relax, or to massage, or to breath correctly. For example, ..now breath slowly for 3 seconds, hold for.... or they give specific steps for massage or they do the same for specific yoga movements. I'm wondering if those steps are copywrited or can someone else write a book citing those same steps almost word for word?

Answer
Hello Al:

I am not a lawyer, and cannot give legal advice, but my research on copyright has shown that facts are not protected under copyright law. It would be difficult, therefore, to copyright such a phrase as "Lincoln was assassinated."

I believe such words of advice that you have set forth would fall under the category of "facts." You should still write them in your own words, though, and perhaps in a different order, just to be safe. If you are so inclined, you can google "copyright law" and research the subject.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores  over 1350 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand