Writing Books/WRITING

Question
I know this is not your specialty but maybe you know. I am creating a website on anxiety. Many medical topics will be covered but I have no medical credentials. Therefore I want to cite credible sources to back me up. Is it copywrite infringement or plagiarism to state something and then cite the medical journal I got it from, followed by a sentence in quotations from that journal without their approval? Also, there are medical websites that have articles based from information from these journals. Can I quote sentences from these websites as credible sources and also can I do so without asking them?

Answer
Congrats on your book!

Interesting question that I think a lot of people have from time to time.

This is what the U.S. Copyright Office has to say about quoting from another source:

"How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?

Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances. See FL 102, Fair Use, and Circular 21, Reproductions of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians."

For more info on this, I would go to the Copyright Office then click on Frequently Asked Questions.  I've copied the link to the office below for you.  This link should take you to the section of the FAQ you are interested in.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html#permission

Best wishes!

Rhonda

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell