Writing Books/Writing Laws

Question
Is it illegal to write a sequel to someone else book? I would like to write a book as a sequel to another person's book, but it is not exactly a sequel it is not about the same person, but it has the same characters and circumstances and goes with the book. Do I need permission from the author of the original book or not?

Answer
I'm not an entertainment attorney; I'm a book editor. The question is whether it is illegal or whether it makes you liable for plagiarism. From my lay person's point of view, though, it would certainly raise my ire if someone read a book of mine and then wrote a new book using my characters and circumstances. I'd sue, wouldn't you, if someone used your characters and circumstances? I'd say you'd definitely be opening yourself up to a lawsuit.

I hope you'll subscribe to my free newsletter for writers. Go to wwww.zebraeditor.com and click on "Free Newsletter."

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas