Writing Books/FOLLOW UP QUESTION

Question
QUESTION: One agency states that it wants in the query: 1. A paragraph about yourself, 2. Publishing credits, if any.
I want to offer them a fictional piece, and have only two un paid non fictional pieces unrelated to the book. I have did well in college writing, in creative writing class, but have not taken a fiction novel writing course.
Thanks.

ANSWER: The publishing credits do not have to be paid credits, but anything that is published.

I will say though, you should have numerous articles, stories, etc. published to create a "writer's resume" of credits before obtaining an agent.

The credits are not related to your book, as you would not publish any portions of it. It is other works published.

Go ahead and query with what you have, you never know, they might accept you if the query is written well about your book to gain their interest.

Good luck with your endeavor.

QUESTION: A "write's resume" of credits before obtaining an agent" makes sense, but how do people like Grissom and some others get a big book deal and you don't see that they have published short stories or articles?
I am going to work on a good query, but still feel disadvantged and nervous about not having a strong writer's resume.
Thanks.

Answer
The public never sees any author's "writer's resume" and that is just a term.

A "writer's resume" is his published works that's listed to his credits to give to agents and publishers proving he is good, serious, and has years of experience. And, that other's have and are, interested in his works as well.

Grissom and others, have published works long before their published novels. They could have been published in ezines and magazines from years back and under an alias, or are using an alias today as their now famous author names.

Just because you don't find their previous works, doesn't mean they don't exist, and some are probably out of print, defunct, an obsolete.

Don't be nervous because everyone has to start somewhere, and if you don't try, you'll never succeed and always fail and never know if you could have been.

Be bold and be strong... be assertive and positive, and be confident of yourself and your talent.  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett