Writing Books/question on genre

Hello.  I am writing a middle grade novel in which I conjecture that Magellan
didn't actually die and went on to form a secret society of explorers.  I have
carefully researched historical records and can make it fit with the real facts,
but  how do I describe this type of book?  I also explain the fountain of youth
through a virus (a scientist helped me develop this theory).  It's a bit like the
Da Vinci Code in that it's not fictionalizing the past, it's just creatively filling
in where the history books left off.  Is there a proper term for this?

Also, what genre should I use for this book?  It's set in the present, and
though deals with altered history/science, that's not the focus.  It's mostly
adventure.  But because I do dabble in scifi/fantasy, do I need to mention
that when querying?

One more...should I mention in a query letter that I worked with scientists
and historians to make it as accurate as possible?  Thank you!

There are so many new genres now, that it could probably be marketed in a bunch of different ones, which makes your marketing easier to sell.

It is fiction, but which genre is up to you. Research them and choose the one you want to use on your query, but you can also list on the query it is marketable in XXX categories as well.

This helps with the publisher accepting it, or a literary agent, because it can be placed in so many different genres on the book shelves.

You never have to mention the source in a work of fiction. Any agent or editor that reads it will recognize that you took a historical piece and rearranged it into a fiction story, i.e. The DeVinci Code.

It does fit into the adventure genre, but there are a lot of sub genres within that.

As I said, Google genres and research your options.

There are a lot.

Good luck with it, it sounds very interesting.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.