Writing Books/software for writing a encyclopedia

Hello, I am a Mac User and currently writing on an encyclopedia. I cannot find
the right software to manage all my data, e.g. sort alphabetically, sort by field.  
MS Word does not seam to be helpful.
Do you have any advise?

Hi Florian
Sorry for taking so long to reply - I have been away for a few days and I have not had access to my email.

MS Word has an alphabetical sort under the function called 'Sort' and you'll find it under 'Table' in the toolbar. I know it's the LAST place to find this but it works OK.

Make an alphabetical list - one word per line - and see how you go. if you have lots of data it might be best to use Excel.

Get back to me if I can help you further.

Writing Books

Paul Watt

Advice on rewriting PhD dissertations into books; advice on sending manuscripts to scholarly publishers; how copyediting works; what to expect in the production process; explain what to do if a university press rejects your manuscript. I do NOT assess manuscripts

10 years publishing experience at Addison Wesley Longman, and Cambridge University Press Australia and the United Kingdom

Bachelor of Music; Master of Arts; PhD is almost finished! I also teach in editing and publishing courses at university level, both undergraduate and graduate