Writing Books/Compiling a book of quotes

I have two questions:

1.  Over the years I have compiled hundreds of quotes on various subjects.  If I put these together in a book for publishing, what documentation, if any, do I have to give for each quote?  

2.  I am also considering writing a book and using a quote or two at the beginning of each chapter.  How much documentation do I have to give for each of those quotes?

Thank you very much.

Using any quote has to have credit given to the author- otherwise, it is plagiarism.

You can see this by example by Googling "famous quotes" Online and see that each site gives the author's name.

Sometimes, there are quotes where the quote (or saying) is unknown. Then you use "author unknown" after the quote.

This is a must.

Whether the quote is in the beginning as Stephen King and Dean R. Koontz does- the author must be credited.

Example (my favorite that I use as an Online signature)

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances; if there is a reaction, both are transformed." -- C. G. Jung  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.