Writing Books/Margins/Typesetting

Question
Hi Sandy,

I am a new author and have no clue how to get started.  What margins and spacing should I use?  And please clarify for me if I should set up these margins as 8.5 x 5.5 margins in MS Word and later convert to Adobe PDF format before submitting to an editor?

Answer
Hi Jeannie,

Thanks for the question.  This is a simple one.  It does not matter!  The most important thing is to write the story. I suggest you simply open a MS Word document and start typing. No editor will mind how it is formatted as long as the writing is good.  Also do not submit anything in PDF format. Editors and publishers normally expect an MS Word document.

However, I would suggest that before you submit a manuscript you reformat the line spacing to 1.5 as this makes it easier for an editor to mark-up.

All the best with your writing.

Cheers

Sandy

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon