Writing Books/Publishing book

Question
Thanks Rhonda in advance for your help.
I have written a book in spanish about personal growth and meditation and would like to know how I can get it to a publisher who could evaluate it for publishing.
also if there is any group that you know of that could assist in evaluating the manuscript....

thanks....

Jose

Answer
Jose,

CONGRATULATIONS on writing your book!!

I encourage you to secure a literary agent who has strong contacts with editors and publishers.  Some publishers state that they only work with writers who are represented by a literary agent.  The Association of Authors Representatives (AAR) is a good resource to search (they are online) to find reputable literary agents by genre.  Most literary agents provide submission guidelines at their website.  Follow their guidelines and submit to literary agents who represent the types of books you write.

You can also search directories like Writer's Digest, Literary Market Place and Poets & Writers and search for publishers who publish the types of books your write and submit to them directly. Some publishers do accept manuscripts directly from writers.

A literary agent will evaluate the manuscript.  Writers groups I know of are Novel-L and some Yahoo! groups.  I don't know the exact name of the Yahoo! groups.  Do a search in the engines and see what comes up.  You might find it beneficial to join a group that has a mix of new and seasoned professional writers in it.  Bookstores like Borders and Barnes and Noble also have writers groups that meet regularly at their stores to discuss their individual manuscripts.

Personally, I think getting a professional editor to review your manuscript is a good move.  However, before you take that step letting a group of professional writers review your manuscript and offer valuable insights and suggestions for improvement is good as well.

All the best!  

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell