Writing Books/Trademark

Question
Hi Sandy
I have a friend who has written a biography about a longtime friend of his. He has been threatened not to use this persons name because it has been trademarked. Is this possible and should my friend worry.  
         Thanks-Tim

Answer
Hi Tim,

Although the law varies from country to country, there is usually no problem with writing a biography as it is a legitimate art form. The subject of a biography does not have to agree with the project or like the content, and can only react with legal action if the book contains libel or defamation. No reasonable court in a democratic country would find against a writer simply on the grounds of so-called "trademark".

However, a writer always has to check the legal situation in their own country and certainly the publisher will.

All the best,

Sandy

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon