Writing Books/Book

Question
Ms. Christmas,
  I'm going through a situatin in my life that  would love to write about.  I would love to publish it so i can fell like i accomplished something.  I don't know if i should write a shorie or a journal.  Just wondering howto start.  Please Help....Is it hard to get something published.   Do i have to lay out any money?  

Answer
: You are not going to like my answer, but I will be straightforward and honest. The quality of the writing in the question tells me that the quality of any story, article, or book by the same person would not be high enough to interest a publisher. Getting published is extremely difficult, and the chances of success are low, even for excellent writers.

Serious writers spend years writing, learning, taking classes, and honing their craft. Self-published writers (the ones who lay out money to get published) tend to be those who did not want to put the work into improving their writing, and as a result, no one will pay them for the work. Why they think someone will buy a poorly written book is beyond me.

After all that discouragement, though, I encourage you to keep a journal, jot down notes about all that you are going through and your feelings regarding the situation. Record all the details. If nothing else, journaling gives you some perspective on your situation and may help you get through it.

Next, if you are serious about wanting to write your story, learn more about writing. Take writing classes. Join a critique circle. Read good books on writing. After you hone the craft of writing, you can use your journal as the basis of your article or book.

Another option is to pay a ghostwriter to write your story for you, but if you go that route, be prepared to pay a substantial fee to the ghostwriter. Few write on the speculation that an article or book may get sold to a publisher, because even when the writing is perfect, the odds of selling to a publisher are extremely low.   

As part of learning about writing, be sure to sign up for my free newsletter for writers. Go to www.zebraeditor.com to sign up.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas