Writing Books/Character Deaths

I am currently focusing on one novel in particular, and in an effort to convey an important theme, several characters need to die.  I believe the surviving characters are more than strong enough to carry the plot, but I'm worried that the number of characters dying will put off readers to the extent that the point I'm trying to convey will be completely missed.  I'm also concerned by the fact that the death of one character in particular is difficult for me to come to terms with.  If I find it difficult to write a character's death, even though I feel it would benefit the plot, should I continue with my plan to kill her anyway?  Or does my emotional reaction serve as a hint to change this?

Thank you very much for your advice in advance, and if you know of someone else who could answer this better, please let me know!

Catherine... and so the first thing I can thing of is... who would want to read a book about how people die....   and my next thought is... what type/kind of a THEME could possibly come from the character's all dying...

sounds rather depressing....

sorry, but I can't get excited about it... most themes are uplifting... and not about death...   oh I know there is a small market for this dark side of Darth Vader writing... but I don't know anything about it.

sorry I can't be of more help

sue and no I don't know of anyone who could answer your questions....

Writing Books

Sue Viders

I can answer various questions about how to create characters for fiction writers.

Two published books, Heroes and Heroines, and Ten Steps to Creating a Memorable Character, plus years of teaching both on-site and on-line

Several national magazines...had monthly columns